Sunday 29 June 2008

So the first update is enacted!

Well, the first update is up! For six days now, actually. The forum has yielded results. A power boost to CCWs is the main rules change; the majority of edits have been corrections and clarifications, trying to tidy up the wording and fix confusing or bad rules. The next step, of course, is to playtest everything.

This is where it gets fiddly... There are programs you can use to play wargames over the internet, but I'm considering creating a dedicated Duel of Steel version myself. It wouldn't be an easy programming job, but it'd help a lot. Other than that I'm limited to people near me, and reports from anyone who manages to persuade their gaming group into helping them along. It's slow progress; as of yet the forum community consists of three people... (I have six members, including myself, but three of them don't do anything.) Luckily one of the other two does live near me, in fact I know him personally, so that enables him to come down and play. The other guy lives in Norway though...

Anyway, playtesting. Much needed. I have a feeling that after the recent health boost to all mechs (I doubled their hits, or Mass, during an update), the serious damage grids are going to fill up much more quickly than that health goes down, meaning 95% of kills will be from exploding reactors, or mechs will simply fall apart after having all their limbs blown off and then get ignored, even if they still have some 50-100 damage left! Whether this is true will show itself during testing, though.

Better get programming if I want that software any time soon...

No comments: